Monday, December 15, 2008

"Who causes so much happiness? Mary's Conception!"


On December 7th Nicaraguans filed into the streets to celebrate the immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary. Also known as La Griteria. I had heard a lot about this day, and didn't really know what to expect. I thought it was going to be much like Hallowe'en, so I brought home a few bags of candies. Turns out, I was a little off.
Like Hallowe'en, families go out in the street and receive candies and gifts from their neighbours. Unlike Hallowe'en, only a few houses in every neighbourhood give out treats. And you have to sing a song praising the Virgin Mary before you can cash in. You can tell which house is handing out gifts because they are the ones with the Virgin Mary alter in front of their house and the long line of patient families snaking down the street.
It was quite a sight to see and I was really happy to be able to share it with the family I am living with and my visitors from home.
I could have done without the fireworks though.

No comments: